Even if you are hours away from Kolkata, chances are that, if not to consciously shop, you will definitely visit Kolkata, the nerve centre of West Bengal. And visiting Kolkata without trying out the various dishes the state capital has to offer will be incomplete. So here is a list of a few restaurants that you must try when you visit Kolkata:
- If you are fond of biryani, Arsalan is your ideal place to be. The restaurant has numerous outlets spread across Kolkata and they specialize in Mughlai cuisine in addition to Chinese cuisine. The sumptuous, succulent, and juicy tandoori kebabs are a delight to eat and so is the biryani without being greasy. The Mutton Rogan Josh curry and the kadai paneer are best when had with naans or khamiri roti. Most of the outlets offer dining options as well as a takeaway.
- Peter Cat is well known for its sizzler Chelo kebab. This stylish restaurant has been around since the British rule and has Indian, Mughlai, and continental dishes on its menu. With a mood-swaying ambiance, this air-conditioned restaurant serves alcohol and is perfect for dining.
- The Corner Courtyard is a colonial house that was last occupied in 1904 and now has been transformed into a boutique hotel. The menu, here, offers Lebanese beetroot-flavoured Hummus, Honey Glazed Grilled Chicken paired with Bengali mustard, Potato Wedges with Cheese Fondue dip and Sundried Tomatoes, and even Grilled Shrimps tossed in a Chocolate Sauce. It is one of those places that lets you breathe in the air of cosmopolitan.
- Founded in 2003, 6 Ballygunge Place is a standalone Bengali-food restaurant located in Kolkata. The dishes prepared here are adapted from traditional renowned cookbooks including recipes from Rabindranath Tagore's family. Spicy fish curry prepared with mustard paste and poppy seeds is a popular dish.
- With a fine-dining and elegantly decorated ambience, Oh! Calcutta takes you through the Bengali culinary journey by serving traditional Bengali dishes. The most popular dishes include smoked Bhetki and smoked boneless Hilsa marinated with green chillies and mustard paste which are, then, wrapped in banana leaf and steamed. Finishing your meal without some famous Kolkata sweets like mishti doi or a home-made date palm jaggery ice cream for dessert is a sin.
- At this 110-seater restaurant on Rashbehari Avenue, Banana Leaf, idli-dosa staples to appams and bisi bele bath are offered to guests. The fluffy kuzhi paniyaram balls with spicy chutney are a treat. A 15+ item special thali is offered on Sunday. It will simply elevate you.
- At Flame & Grill, located at South City Mall, servers will keep filling your plates with kebabs until you tell them to stop after which you will be invited to a buffet stocked with salads, vegetarian and non-vegetarian North Indian fare, and an array of desserts. Flame & Grill is an excellent dining option for the entire family.
While scheduling your trip to West Bengal, make sure to book your tickets and hotel stay well in advance for convenience. While looking for hotels in Durgapur, pick Fortune Park Pushpanjali, Durgapur for its generous hospitality and excellent guest services. Explore the food paradise of Kolkata with ease and joy while staying in Fortune Hotels.